Queensbury Square, Dumfries - Building Consultancy
Our Building Consultancy recently completed a comprehensive refurbishment of a vacant town centre retail unit on behalf of the Landlord and for the end user. The aim of the works was to complete general Landlord repairs and engage with the incoming tenant to complete tenant specific refurbishment works.
The Landlord had several key aims and objectives:
• Deliver a high-quality refurbished space.
• Complete the works in a prompt manner in line with the incoming tenants’ requirements.
• Upgrade the energy efficiency of the building.
• Provide the desired product within a set budget.
The building was in a poor condition and required amendments and repairs to existing layouts, access to upper floors, external envelope and surface finishes.
Below is the link to our Matterport walkthrough showing the existing condition of the property.
Naylors Gavin Black LLP’s Building Consultancy’s professional roles throughout the scheme were to act as:
• Contract Administrator
• Principal Designer
In these capacities an overall of the roles which were completed as part of our remit were:
• Administer the contract between the Landlord and the Contractor.
• Manage and review Health and Safety in the pre-construction and construction phases.
• Provide design and layout proposals which complied with local legislation.
• Collate full tender documentation and undertake a traditional single stage tender exercise.
• Monitor and review on site work and completion certificates.
The works which were completed by the selected Contractor for the project briefly comprised of:
• Full strip out of existing finishes throughout.
• Installation of a new ceiling grid to the retail unit.
• New tenant specific café kitchenette and service counter.
• New provision of a wheelchair accessible toilet.
• Installation of new vertical platform lift to access the upper floor.
• Upgraded surface finishes throughout, decoration, flooring etc.
• LED flat panel and surface mounted lighting throughout.
• Remedial works to external sections of the roof to ensure the building remained weathertight.
The project was successfully completed within the specified budget. It was also completed in line with the incoming tenants required entry dates to ensure a quick and easy transition for the Landlord from owning a vacant run-down unit, to a refurbished space which resulted in a new long-term tenant.