The Quadrant dilapidations & project management
Naylors’ Building Consultancy and Project Management Department were appointed by top developer, UK Land Estates, to complete a high profile project, revitalising the Quadrant at Newburn Riverside, one of the Region’s first BREEAM “Excellent” rated office buildings, featuring a ground breaking natural ventilation system.
We were initially instructed to serve a Terminal Schedule of Dilapidations on the outgoing tenant following a 10 year occupation. The tenant undertook a significant number of alterations which resulted in a number of the original design features being removed and altered, including the mechanical and electrical installations. The dilapidations schedule which was produced allowed for the reinstatement of these features as well as specifying a number of repairs. In order to demonstrate a loss, we were instructed by the client to act as lead designer and contract administrator with regard to carrying out the refurbishment works. This included the preparation and compiling of full specifications, drawings and general tender documentation and then controlling and monitoring the works on site to completion. On completion of the works, a settlement figure was reached which equated to the total cost of the dilapidation works.
The scheme, though challenging, has achieved a dramatic effect with the financial investment creating a finished product which has already attracted a number of prominent occupiers, including BAE Systems, for whom our team also completed their office fit-out including new cellular offices, kitchen and break out areas.
Our Role & Responsibility
- Acting as lead project manager/ contract administrator in managing the project and administrating the building contract and design team.
- Acting as lead designer and CDM Co-ordinator to develop tender documentation and obtain competitive tenders. We also obtained all statutory consents for the repair and reinstatement works.
- Liaising with various members of the design team including the mechanical and electrical engineer in order to adopt a repair method which was adequate and compliant with statute.
- Assisting the client in forming a plan of action to allow for the requirements of an incoming tenant, BAE Systems, completing the works whilst the building was partly occupied, thus limiting disruption and allowing income generation for the client due to the letting of the said areas.
- Developing and implementing an individual reporting and monitoring procedure throughout the works due the client’s specific requirements.
- Specifying various supplementary works’ packages during the main contracted works. Attended regular progress meetings to ensure that the design and detailing evolved in a manageable manner, maintaining the project budget. Issued contract instructions in a timely manner in order to instruct the contractor of all design and specification changes.
Regular meetings allowed further client involvement and development of the design to ensure the repairs were detailed and implemented, obtaining all statutory consents and required finish.
The client was delighted with the finished scheme, the investment achieved a dramatic effect and created a finished product which has already attracted a number of prominent occupiers, including BAE Systems, for whom our team also completed their office fit-out including new cellular offices, kitchen and break out areas.